Thursday 19 March 2009

, , , ,

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Set in the future, North America is run practically by a dictatorship, and as punishment for "past crimes" and as a reminder not to go against them again, they hold the Hunger Games: a reality TV show, where all children from 12-18 have to be submitted to take part in a fight to the death - two from each of the 12 districts are chosen, and this is mandatory. Twenty four in all. Twenty three kids will die, at the hands of his/her competition. We follow Katniss as she strives to survive the Hunger Games.

I can't tell you just how AWESOME this book is! The actual Hunger Games doesn't start til about a third, maybe half way through (I can't check right now, I've leant out my copy), but the build up sucks you in even before the Games start. I love the whole Miss World feel of it, where there's a Q&A wih the competitors, and they're dressed up and pampered to look amazing - just to make the audience love them, and hope the rich of Panem sponsor them so they get gifts while in the arena. And once there, the efforts people go to to survive, it's kind of disturbing, but I couldn't put the book down. Seriously, it's gripping, and the whole strategy of a game plan that we see in reality TV is essential, so how the whole thing is set up... it's just mind blowing, and I LOVE IT! It is now right up there with my favourite books! I highly recommend it if you haven't read it!



Published: January 2009
Publisher: Scholastic
Buy from Amazon.com
Suzanne Collins Website
The Hunger Games Website

1 comment:

  1. Love this book so much! Though I agree, it is kinda distubring :s haha

    Currently giving away a Hunger Games bookmark and some other things on my blog right now if you want to check it out :)

    -Laura
    What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete