Tuesday 26 January 2010

Possible Future Month Long Feature - What are Your Suggestions?

As some of you will know, last year I held Sex in Teen Lit Month, in which I reviewed YA novels which focussed on Sex, interviewed several authors, held discussions, and had some guest bloggers. For those who didn't see it the first time around, just click the link above.

I have had a fair few people ask me if I'm going to be doing something similar this year. The answer to that is, I don't know. I'm going to be a lot busier this year than last year, so I would have to have a few other people involved if it was to go ahead - which was also requested by some in my feedback survey.

The only thing is, I don't know what to focus on. I want it to be something serious and important, but I'm not really a big fan of morbid stories, so I don't think I could take a whole month of self-harming, for instance. I don't mind reading such books, but I think a month of just those books would put me in the worst of moods for too long.

So I thought I would open it up to your suggestions. If you can think of a serious and important theme for teens that isn't too hard going, and know of some books that cover it, please suggest it! I thought I'd give it a few days for suggestions, then create a poll of the ones that interest me, and see what is most popular. How does this sound?

Before you get suggesting, for anyone who is thinking about suggestion religion, hold up one second. As I've said in various posts before, I'm very interested in other people's religions, however, I am completely not a fan of being preached to. I don't mind reading YA fiction that discusses religion, but if there is some hidden moral voice trying to tell me what I should believe, I get annoyed. And I can only think of one book that doesn't do this; Are You There God? It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume. If you know your book suggestions are preachy, please don't recommend them to me, thanks. Sorry if I sound harsh, it's just my personal preferance.

So any suggestions? Please fill in this form! And if you'd be interested in taking part, depending on the topic (don't worry, I won't force you to take part if the subject isn't something you're interested in) please mention it in the form! Cheers!

It's not definite that this will happen, just so you're aware, it's just to see if there's interest.

5 comments:

  1. Well I think it is a great idea if you can think of a good theme. Could you maybe put a positive spin on it? Like great female role models in teen lit...search out thosemain characters whop don't go all Bella over Edward... Sorry if I'm meant to fill out a form. I'll look at it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, the form doesn't work when I click on the link. Page cannot be display. Another idea...Confinement in teen lit. Lit exploring teens in prison, e.g. Quantanamo Boy. Concentration camps. Psychiatric wards. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestions Becky! I don't know why the form wasn't working, it's working for me. I've put your suggestions into the form so they're on the spreadsheet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... My little wheels are turnin' for ya, Jo...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, awesome! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete