Monday 11 January 2010

, , , , ,

Review: My Soul to Lose by Rachel Vincent

my soul to lose by rachel vincentMy Soul to Lose by Rachel Vincent (free read) - It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed and it's the worst day of her life.

Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit.

She tries to convince everyone she's fine--despite the shadows she sees forming around another patient and the urge to scream which comes burbling up again and again. Everyone thinks she's crazy. Everyone except Lydia, that is. Another patient with some special abilities....
From Goodreads.

I have been wanting to read Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series since My Soul to Take was first released. However, due various reasons, I have been unable to buy it. Seeing as I had a few hours to spare, and after the high of finishing Prey, the fourth in Rachel's adult Shifters series, I thought I would give the prequel novella to the Soul Screamers series, My Soul to Lose a try.

At this point in Kaylee's life, she doesn't know that she's a bean sidhe. The only way she can explain to herself the terrible urge to scream when she sees someone is as a panic attack - despite feeling unbearable pain and grief, and seeing said person surrounded by shadows. Normally, if Kaylee can get away from the person who triggers her "panic attacks", she can calm down. But she doesn't get away quick enough while at the mall, and the ear splitting scream she wails lands her waking up 15 hours later restrained to a bed in a mental hospital.

No questions are answered in My Soul to Lose, but there is nothing wrong with that; as a prequel, it is supposed to be read after reading at least My Soul to Take. The events that take place in Lose are mentioned in Take, and Lose was written so we readers are actually able to experience those events through Kaylee's eyes first hand, as they happen.

Although a completely different story to that of her Shifter's series, Rachel's familiar writting style runs throughout the story, as well as a strong willed narrator. Rachel's familiar style of writing is a comfort that eases you into a new story, and puts any doubts to rest. Anyone weary of trying Rachel's YA series need not be; the narrative style in Lose is no different to that of the Shifters series, it isn't dumbed down in anyway. The only real difference is that Kaylee's interests are that of a teenager; her ex-boyfriend, her homecoming dance, fashion, etc.

I absolutely loved Rachel's descriptions of Kaylee's screaming! Before reading, yet knowing that Kaylee was a bean sidhe with the urge to scream when people are about to die, I wasn't sure how her actual screaming was going to be described, or that it could be pulled off well. The story is by Rachel Vincent, though, so of course I really didn't have anything to worry about. I loved how the scream was like an animal or a beast trying to force it's way out of Kaylee that caused physical pain, and unbearable sorrow. It was such a great image, and it was awesome to see Kaylee trying to fight it; her character really came through with her fear.

The only bad thing I would say about Lose is that it's a download. It's free, which is great, but I'm not a fan of reading off a screen, I much prefer an actual physical book - one that would look nice and shiny sitting on my bookcase. I read it online as there is no other way for me to read it.

Over all, a brilliant start to what looks to be a promising series! I'm looking forward to reading My Soul to Take, and getting the answers to all the questions that were asked in Lose! I have no doubt that it's going to be brilliant!

Download My Soul to Save for free from Rachel's website

Add to Goodreads

Published: 1st July 2009
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Rachel Vincent's Website

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting us know about this free read - I've seen a lot of good reviews of this series but like you I've not got round to buying any of the books yet. The Shifter's series is another one that is on my wishlist so I've not read anything by Rachel Vincent yet. This will be a good way of getting a taster of her writing style until I can afford to buy the books :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I havent started on this series yet but I have 2 of the books in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah - You're welcome! I so hope you enjoy My Soul to Lose enough to read the others! Rachel's Shifters seies is just amazing!

    Kari - Awesome, I hope you enjoy reading this series when you get to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I downloaded this one and have it on my kindle awaiting read-ature (wth? haha). Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! :) I hope you enjoy it! :D

    ReplyDelete